Access aisles provide the necessary space to allow people with disabilities to get in and out of their vehicles.
Requirements for the Design of Access Aisles at Accessible Off-Street Parking
- Access aisles
- Every accessible parking space must have an access aisle adjacent to the space.
- Shared access aisles
- An access aisle may be shared by two accessible parking spaces.
- Access aisle width
- Minimum 1,500 mm.
- Access aisle length
- Full length of the parking space.
- Access aisle surface markings
- On hard surfaces such as asphalt or concrete, access aisles must be demarcated with high tonal contrast diagonal lines to discourage vehicles from parking in them. Note that markings are not required for softer surfaces.